Energy Efficient Home Building
Keeping energy costs low and conserving our earth’s resources without breaking the bank is one of the most important topics when building a home. DB Homes is proud to partner with Energy Star in offering energy efficient home building to our customers.
A recent study conducted by Certified Energy Raters, LLC, a third party company, found that DB Homes Energy Star Homes exceeded the Energy Star version 2.0 standards set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Out of all the homes DB Homes built and labeled as Energy Star, the average air infiltration rate was 2.42 ACH which is 31% better than what the EPA considers a ‘tight’ home at 3.50 ACH.
The average HERS score for DB Homes was 49 which is 51% more efficient than the minimum code built home.
DB Homes High Performance / Energy Efficient Custom Homes
Although DB Homes offers Energy Star® labeled energy efficient custom homes, it is important to note that all DB Homes are inherently Green and energy efficient due to our detailed construction methods. Little is wasted of building materials used throughout the building process due to efficient and thorough ordering and planning that goes into every home built.
Since homes are constructed indoors the wood used is not subjected to changes in weather. This provides for walls and floor systems that are true and straight, windows and doors that are plumb and sheathing that is caulked at the seams. All of which results in a home with much less air infiltration.
Below is a list of some of the things behind the walls that DB Homes does to insure that your home is optimally energy efficient.
• Receptacles on the exterior wall have gaskets
• Marriage wall perimeter have gaskets
• Doors and window flanges are caulked
• Exterior wall headers are insulated
• Sealing of all bath fans and recessed light fixtures that go thru the ceiling drywall
• Tub and showers on exterior walls have drywall behind them
• Plumbing openings are sealed
• Range hood vents and dryer vents are sealed
• Fireplace walls are insulated and sealed when on exterior walls
• Chase walls are insulated on the inside
• Perimeter bands are insulated with R-30
• Horizontal joist on OSB at exterior wall are caulked
• Plumbing and electrical penetration thru studs are caulked and sealed
• All homes are third party inspected